I’m no confident who to ship this information to…Here is the only email I could come across. I felt that eighty five% from the brokers Doing the job between LGA and JFK between eight/nine and 8/ten ended up particularly unfriendly. My partner and I were being scheduled to fly from LGA to CMH eight/nine to the 6pm flight. Resulting from weather conditions it had been delayed and soon after sitting down over the Tarmac for over 2 hrs was finally xld. Understandable. I'll say the flt personnel was extremely accommodating, pleasant and fun. Nonetheless once we waited in line we ended up eventually handed new boarding passes with nothing at all reported by the man putting on a vest that said “supervisor”…he did say This can be the 1st and only option (eight/ten at 815pm). We took it and stayed within the airport to view about standby alternatives the following morning when gate agents returned. If the agents returned (we if training course ended up awake 24 hrs at this time) they stunned us by declaring that our alternate return was booked from JFK not LGA…pleasant of SOMEONE to inform us this crucial depth!
A significant percent from the traveling public have conservative sights, like about fifty%. The treatment method of Glenn Beck in excess of the weekend has been transmitted to nearly five million men and women by now and remains to be spreading.
I are already attempting to obtain a reaction from an individual in client service, Marjorie Nir, I was awarded 2 X $two hundred voucher although the “Just click here ” button only will take me back on the AA Web-site.
I are actually endeavoring to make connection with the airline for more than an hour or so with no results. What exactly are my possibilities?
Your insufficient reaction triggered me to cancel my trip which I informed Anyone to at American.. Be sure to notify me what I do following..
I am standing at American Airways counter in McAllen, Tx looking forward to a resort voucher 3 hours right after landing from Flight 5783 that was redirected as a result of undesirable climate around Queretaro.
I ordered an airline ticket via expedia for journey in March 2016. the knowledge been given with my buy indicated that I need to contact the airline for seat assignment. Today, I contacted the airline, great consumer service . Nevertheless, I was educated that since I did not obtained my ticket directly from your airline, there could well be a cost for me to get a seat.
The worst experience in my daily life.1st flight was delayed for 3 hrs as the flight attendants didn’t display up. Then we should run to catch our subsequent flight.After informative post we get over the plane they tell us We've no pilots and weren't permitted to get off the aircraft.
I'm pretty unhappy with your client service!!! I do think it absolutely was more cost-effective to suit your needs To do that to me than to run the flight which i was originally on, since the flight was not full.
I have tried out scheduling flights from Charlotte ,NC to Tobago. I am unable to e book these flight on yours or US Airs Web-sites,nevertheless I'm able to reserve them on Expedia and Travelocity. I didn’t desire to book these by using a next social gathering.
Shoppers may also American Airlines shopper service in the e-mail listed here: . We been given an automated response within a couple of minutes, though the correspondence didn't deal with our concern.
It may be a glitch to you personally but it means that I've to face in an extended line that is really agonizing having a knee cap which has been broken.
I approached the agent from the title of “Susan A” and greeted her having a “Good Early morning!” Her response was a blank stare like I'd no small business staying there then a glare Once i questioned her if she was readily available.
My son experienced the worst encounter on your own airline. I cannot tell you the impression it experienced….He was because of fly into Pittsburgh from Miami — his flight was cancelled. He learned the Saturday night 10 hrs in advance of his flight. He was then on keep for a very long time although they have been trying to reroute him. He had an audition Together with the Pittsburgh Symphony about the Monday early morning the following day. Then the routed him on One more flight with very negligible time to transfer. 30 minutes. He bought into the airport, that flight was delayed and he would miss out on the transfer. They observed A further flight but only one seat, which he could not do because of the fact that he had to buy his cello. Time just after time he was on hold as well as the brokers were not quite helpful. Finally he ended up having to just accept the one possibility which was a flight to Charlotte followed by a continue to be overnight after which on to Pittsburgh hopefully an hour ahead of audition. They explained they may not give him a lodge voucher above the phone or in the ticketing place, but there could be lots of folks handing them out in Charlotte.